On September 10, 2015, the NADO Research Foundation hosted the first installment of our three-part webinar series “September with the CEDS: Better Resilience through Better Planning” that takes a deeper dive into the recent revisions to EDA’s Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) Content Guidelines. The Guidelines suggest how to develop the document’s format and substance to make the strongest, most useful and effective CEDS possible – a true roadmap and driver of regional economic resilience. Building more resilient communities starts with better planning – planning that is comprehensive, forward-thinking, and goal-oriented.
These free hour-long webinars showcase Economic Development Districts throughout the country that have taken innovative planning approaches to integrating economic resilience into their CEDS through aligning existing regional planning processes, robustly analyzing their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, and developing relevant and realistic metrics for measuring their progress.
Our first installment focused on aligning CEDS with other regional planning efforts. We were joined by representatives from two Economic Development Districts that have found opportunities to “connect the dots” and develop robust CEDS that achieve multiple benefits for their regions.
- Dave Ives, AICP, Sustainability/Planning Coordinator, Economic Development Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce (Washington, DC)
- Mary Rump, Transportation & Regional Development Director, East Central Iowa Council of Governments (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Amanda Hoey, Executive Director, Mid-Columbia Economic Development District (The Dalles, OR)
- Sara James, Program Manager, NADO Research Foundation
Join us for the next installments in the “September with the CEDS” webinar series:
We will be continuing our series with two more webinars focused on strengthening the SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis and building achievable goals and actionable performance metrics. Click the links below for more information and to register for each webinar.
- Monday, September 14, 2 – 3 p.m. ET, Strengthening the SWOT: Identifying & Understanding Regional Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats
- Wednesday, September 30, 2 – 3 p.m. ET, Measuring Your Progress: The Importance of Performance Metrics
This webinar series is conducted with support from the U.S. Economic Development Administration. Contact Sara James at [email protected] with any questions.