Congratulations to the winners of the 2011 NADO Trailblazer Award! For the second year, all NADO Innovation Award and Excellence in Regional Transportation Award-winning projects were judged by a group of peers at the NADO Annual Training Conference and the National Rural Transportation Conference. The top winners selected by the peer judges were honored as Trailblazers, projects that show significant evidence of unique innovation.
During NADO’s 2011 Annual Training Conference in Miami, four projects were selected from among the 60+ Innovation Award winners to receive Trailblazer Awards. Two additional projects were selected as Trailblazer Award winners at the National Rural Transportation Conference in Washington, DC from among the16 Excellence in Regional Transportation Awards Winners.
The 2011 NADO Trailblazers are:
- Florida Regional Councils Association, Statewide Regional Evacuation Study Program
- Northeast Michigan Council of Governments, U.S. 23 Heritage Route
- Ohio Valley Regional Development Commission, Buckeye Hills-Hocking Valley Regional Development District and Ohio Mideastern Governments Association, Connecting Appalachia Middle-Mile Fiber Optic Network
- Southern Oregon Regional Economic Development, Inc., Southern Oregon Angel Investment Conference
- Lower Savannah Council of Governments (SC), Cross County Connection
- Roanoke Valley-Alleghany Regional Commission (VA), Roanoke Valley Greenways
NADO would like to thank Lisa Dawson (Northeast Oregon EDD); Rick Hunsaker (Region XII COG, IA); Jeff Kiely (Northwest New Mexico COG); Bethany Remmers (Northwest Regional Planning Commission, VT); Gena McCullough, Bi-State Regional Commission, IL); Betty Riley (South Central Oregon EDD); and Shawn Seager (Mountainland Association of Governments, UT) for serving as 2011 Trailblazer Award judges.