As pandemic recovery continues throughout the United States, there is a tremendous opportunity right now to better coordinate economic development planning efforts at the state and regional levels to drive prosperity and resilience. The NADO Research Foundation and Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness (CREC) hosted a webinar highlighting how state economic development offices and regionally-based Economic Development Districts (EDDs) can better align their efforts, in particular by coordinating statewide economic development plans and regional Comprehensive Economic Development Strategies (CEDS).
During this webinar, you’ll learn more about the CEDS process from U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) staff and how it can support efforts to meet regional and statewide economic development goals. You’ll also hear how the Eastern Maine Development Corporation, located in Bangor and serving four counties, has forged a strong partnership with the Maine Department of Economic and Community Development – an example of an EDD-state government collaboration that is leading to powerful outcomes for local residents and businesses.
Click to download the slide deck (PDF)
- Bob Isaacson, Senior Vice President, Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness, Arlington, VA
- David Ives, Deputy Director, Performance, Research and National Technical Assistance Division, U.S. Economic Development Administration, Washington, DC
- Heather Johnson, Commissioner, Maine Department of Economic & Community Development, Augusta, ME
- Lee Umphrey, CEO, Eastern Maine Development Corporation, Bangor, ME
- Brett Schwartz, Associate Director, NADO Research Foundation, Washington, DC (moderator)
- U.S. Economic Development Administration American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Programs
- U.S. Economic Development Administration Planning Program and the CEDS
- CEDS Central Training & Resources
- 2021-2025 Eastern Maine Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy
- 2020-2029 Maine Economic Development Strategy
- Maine Climate Council’s Four-Year Plan for Climate Action
- Governor’s Economic Recovery Committee. Recommendations to Sustain and Grow Maine’s Economy
- Office of the State Economist. Maine’s Economy During COVID-19: 2020 Year in Review
This webinar was delivered through the “Enhancing State and Local EDD Engagement to Support COVID-19 Recovery and Resiliency” project prepared by the Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness (CREC) using Federal funds under award ED21HDQ3070060 from the U.S. Economic Development Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce. The statements, findings, conclusions, and recommendations are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Economic Development Administration or the U.S. Department of Commerce.