JOB TITLE: Economic Development Director
AGENCY: City of Scottsdale
LOCATION: Scottsdale, AZ
FILING DEADLINE: October 6, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $121,576 – $176,770 Annually
The Economic Development Director directs, manages, and oversees activities and operations of the Economic Development Department staff. This department is responsible for business recruitment, retention, expansion and small business support efforts; implementation, and oversight of a domestic and international economic development strategy; contract creation, monitoring, and compliance; collaboration with community and workforce development partners; budget and financial development. This role also requires significant external relationship development with state, regional and local organizations as well as elected leaders.
- Manages and oversees operational activities of all functions of the Economic Development Department.
- Develops programs and assigns project and program development and execution to appropriate staff within the department.
- Supervises employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations.
- Participates in developing support systems encouraging cross-functional cooperation and support initiative taking.
- Leads in the development of the City’s response to all economic development issues; strives to be pro-active and looks for innovative solutions.
- Works with a variety of software applications utilizing various social media platforms.
- Functions as a liaison between the City and representatives of private sector development opportunities and the business community.
- Develops effective working relationships with economic development groups and organizations at the Local, Regional, State and national levels.
- Directs the Economic Development Department program regarding work projects, policy interpretations and administrative procedures.
- Participates in strategic planning and makes recommendations for a unified program of economic and community development.
- Works collaboratively with internal customers, business owners and elected officials.
- Directs economic research activities to determine the needs and economic impact of projects; provides technical guidance and/or assistance in solving complex and difficult planning projects.
- Addresses various community groups and the Council on economic development matters.
- Supports and represents City Council and management policies and practices to the public and other City employees.
- Prepares and presents Council reports.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, professional leader and excellent communicator who can represent, promote, and market the City through participation with various local, state, and regional business groups and has experience in leading a successful economic development team. The successful candidate will demonstrate and encourage teamwork and collaboration; leading and coordinating economic development meetings; providing input regarding all City development issues; researching and preparing data and materials for review and successful project implementation. This position requires a can-do, high-energy Director who can delegate effectively and has had success leading key initiatives and programs as part of an Economic Development Department, bringing high quality businesses to the community. The position requires a leader who is willing to enthusiastically roll up their sleeves and be a working manager. While technical skills are very important, it will be necessary for this individual to have excellent interpersonal skills, political acumen, and awareness; encourage and listen to feedback; and have the ability to work closely with City Council, executive leadership, and staff from all departments, while adapting quickly to changing priorities in a fast-paced organization.
Key Attributes and Characteristics:
- Excellent interpersonal skills are necessary to build positive working relationships with the City leadership, staff and partnering departments, professional or peer organizations, various state, and federal agencies, as well as vendors and suppliers.
- Excellent communication skills and professionalism in making presentations in front of City Council and community audiences of various sizes and at all levels.
- Strong personnel management and mentor with a motivational leadership style; able to delegate authority and responsibility while promoting individual accountability and high performance.
- A collaborative problem solver who is able to form consensus, be organized and decisive, and work with a sense of urgency.
- Calm under pressure, possessing a positive attitude and a good sense of humor.
- An active listener, and responsive to the development community, residents, and businesses.
- A charismatic and humble leader who demonstrates confidence and high integrity, while providing exceptional customer service and possesses an understanding of the importance of Scottsdale’s community dynamics.
- Understanding of public and private project financing
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, the City of Scottsdale is one of Arizona’s 10 largest cities, with a population of more than 240,000. Scottsdale is internationally recognized as a visitor destination, and nationally recognized as one of the top markets for business performance, job growth, livability and high quality of life. Scottsdale is dedicated to the success of its residents and business community, and consistently ranks among the nation’s best places to live, with top-rated schools, low crime, and a low-tax, vibrant economy for both families and corporations.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Rev2-Scottsdale-EDD.pdf.
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/economic-development-director/
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448
Email: [email protected]